Library Events & Programming
sUMMER rEADING ADVENTURE
Library Calendar of Events
Off the shelf program guide
Shhh! A Library Podcast
Library on the Go!
Get to know the Garland Library, sign up for a card, borrow a book, play games or sit and relax!
3-7 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at Bradfield Rec Center.
#StayCurious #PopUpLibrary #LibraryOnTheGo
English Conversation Class
6:30 p.m., Mondays
Central Library Express
6:30 p.m., Tuesdays
South Garland Branch Library
Meeting once a week, these interactive conversation groups for English learners are geared toward improving every day skills in a casual setting. These classes will allow participants to improve their conversational skills in a friendly environment as well as build vocabulary and confidence.
For more information, please call 972-205-3931.
Join us this summer for our storytime programs!
Storytime programs include stories, songs, and activities led by our talented children's librarians. The librarians will model reading for parents plus songs and fingerplays. Parents can connect with other families in the area.
The Storytimes listed below are organized by age group. Take note of the time and location. Storytimes begin early June and end in late July.
Baby bounce & read
Babies, birth to 18 months, and their caregivers will learn, play, and grow together in this lap-sit storytime that introduces books, rhymes, tickles, and bounces designed to incorporate early literacy practices into their everyday lives.
- 9:30 a.m., Tuesdays, June 6 - July 25, Central Library Express
- 10 a.m., Wednesdays, June 7 - July 26, North Garland Branch Library
- 10:15 a.m., Fridays, June 9 - July 28, South Garland Branch Library
Toddler Time is a storytime for children ages 18 months to 3 years old. Toddler Time storytimes will be a mixture of age appropriate stories, songs, rhymes, flannelboard stories, crafts, and parachute play.
- 10:30 a.m., Tuesdays, June 6 - July 25 , Central Library Express
- 10 a.m., Fridays, June 9 - July 28 , North Garland Branch Library
- 11:15 a.m., Fridays, June 9 - July 28 , South Garland Branch Library
Preschool Discovery is designed for ages 3 to 5-year-olds and their caregivers. Enjoy books, songs, exploring colors, letters, numbers, and much more that will help develop your preschooler's early literacy skills.
- 9:30 a.m., Thursdays, June 8 - July 27, Central Library Express
- 10:15 a.m., Wednesdays, June 7 - July 26, South Garland Branch Library
- 11 a.m., Fridays, June 9 - July 28, North Garland Branch Library
Family read & Play
The whole family will learn, play, and grow during this interactive storytime full of stories, creative movement, and songs that will strengthen listening, language, and literacy skills. We will use books, movement activities, songs, rhymes, manipulative, and extensions that promote the growth of the child's literacy, brain, and emotional development. We will also model ways caregivers can interact, engage, and be their child's first teacher.
- 10:30 a.m., Saturdays, June 10 - July 29, Walnut Creek Branch Library
PLay & Learn
Join us at Garland Libraries for free-play time for families to enjoy. A variety of toys, STEAM toys, games, and stations will be available to explore!
- 10 a.m. Mondays and Fridays, June 5 - August 28, Central Library Express
- 11 a.m., Wednesdays, June 7 - July 26, North Garland Branch Library
- 10 a.m., Saturdays, June 10 - July 29, South Garland Branch Library
Cuentos y Cantos (Spanish Storytime)
Este tiempo de cuentos en Español se dedica a preparar a su hijo para ingresar a la escuela. Acompáñenos para unos cuentos y cantos mientras aprendemos sobre temas escolares y lo más importante, las habilidades necesarias para leer.
This Spanish Storytime is dedicated to preparing your child for entering school. Join us for stories and songs as we learn school subjects and, most importantly, the skills needed to read.
- 11:30 a.m., Wednesdays, June 7 - July 26, Central Library Express
- 10:30 a.m., Thursdays, June 8 - July 27, Central Library Express
Every Child Ready to Read©
Every Child Ready to Read© is a program designed to help parents and caregivers help their children be ready to read. These pre-literacy activities are designed for ages 0 through 5 years and will change every other week. These simple activities encourage a child's ability to learn and form both spoken and written words. Teaching parents and other caregivers how to support the early literacy development of their children is the basis of Every Child Ready to Read© at the Garland Libraries.
1 of the 5 Every Child Ready to Read© Practices will be highlighted during each bi-weekly activity:
1. Talking: Talking with children helps them learn oral language, one of the most critical early literacy skills. Children learn about language by listening to parents talk and joining in the conversation.
2. Singing: Singing develops language skills. Slows down language so children can hear the different sounds in words. Helps children learn new words and information.
3. Reading: Reading together develops vocabulary and comprehension, nurtures a love for reading, and motivates children to want to learn to read.
4. Writing: Children become aware that printed letters stand for spoken words as they see print used in their daily lives.
5. Playing: Play is one of the best ways for children to learn language and literacy skills. They learn about language through playing as the activities help them put thoughts into words and talk about what they are doing.
Each activity will feature 1 of 4 subjects:
Each of the Garland Libraries will provide pre-literacy activities that can be accessed by parents and/or caregivers and their children anytime the libraries are open. Every location within the Garland Library system will be presenting the same subject and practice for two weeks before moving on to the next subject and practice.
Connect with your Garland Library and like us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/GarlandLibraryTX.
Storytime videos stay in Facebook for 24 hours.
https://nmls.beanstack.org/reader365 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is an initiative from the 1000 Books Foundation that encourages children to read or be read ONE THOUSAND books before beginning Kindergarten. In as little as 15 minutes a day, families can work toward this goal and help their children to build the skills needed for future school and life success. Babies, Toddler, and Preschoolers ages 0 to 6 are welcome to participate in this ongoing program.
Register for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten in person at your local Garland Library. Come in and pick up a log, or use one of our printable reading logs below:
1,000 Books Log 1-100
1,000 Books Log 101-200
1,000 Books Log 201-300
1,000 Books Log 301-400
1,000 Books Log 401-500
1,000 Books Log 501-600
1,000 Books Log 601-700
1,000 Books Log 701-800
1,000 Books Log 801-900
1,000 Books Log 901-1,000
Once your child has completed a log, bring it to the Children’s Desk at any of our libraries to receive a prize and the next reading log.
The Garland Public Library was using Beanstack and has chosen to discontinue it. If you would like to register for or to continue updating your reading progress for the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program, please visit any of the four Garland Public Library locations.
Teen Advisory Board
Teens ages 13 to 17 can make a difference in their community by joining the Garland Library Teen Advisory Board. Teens will discuss how the library can serve their age group in terms of events, materials, and services. Participants will receive volunteer hours for attending.
6:30 to 8:30 p.m., second Thursday of the month
In addition to helping improve library service to teens, serving on the Advisory Board allows teens to socialize with their peers. Teens who apply for board membership need parental consent and must attend two consecutive meetings and a total of eight meetings per year to officially serve as members.
The Teen Advisory Board meeting dates for 2023:
- May 11
- June 8
Container Gardening Class
Central Library Express
2 p.m., Saturday, May 20
The Central Library Express will host a container gardening class on Sat. May 20, from 2-4 pm. Supplies for the container plant will be provided by the Library. Space is limited and registration is required. THIS CLASS IS FULL
For more info, please call 972-205-2533
Interested in reading and discussing books with other library patrons? Join us for the book club at the South Garland Branch Library as we discuss a different book each month and enjoy light refreshments.
Adult Book Club
- May 18: Everything Sad is Untrue by Daniel Nayeri
6:30 p.m., Thursday, May 18
South Garland Branch Library
Mystery Book Club
May 25: The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner
6 p.m., Thursday, May 25
Walnut Creek Branch Library
Every Body Yoga
2 p.m. Fridays, January 13 through April 28
Adults can learn the basics of yoga from a professional yoga instructor. Attendees must provide their own blanket, towel, or yoga mat and are encouraged to exercise within limits of their abilities and fitness levels.
South Garland Branch Library
Attendance at Garland Library programs or public spaces constitutes consent to be photographed and video recorded for use in print and/or electronic publicity for the Library, such as presentations, displays, newsletters, articles, library websites and other media. If you do not wish to be photographed or videotaped, please speak to the Library Staff member before the event.